Flinchbaugh Company’s total capabilities far exceed the capabilities of other custom machine shops. The company prides itself on outstanding customer service and customer communications while delivering a quality product on time.
Flinchbaugh was the first York County custom machine shop certified to ISO9001 in the 1990’s. This ISO certification has been continuous since that initial registration. All outside services, such as plating and heat treating, along with in-house capabilities, are coordinated and managed by Flinchbaugh to simplify the process for its customers. Customers can place one order with Flinchbaugh to complete a job in its entirety and they make everything else happen.
Flinchbaugh utilizes ESPIRIT computer-aided-design and computer-aided-manufacturing (CAD/CAM) software to effectively program CNC equipment. ESPIRIT provides the capability to utilize customer solid models to expedite both the quoting and machining processes. ESPIRIT also optimizes the machining process and provides the capability to handle complex part configurations and requirements.
A Job Boss ERP system is utilized in all facets of the business. All customer orders are assigned internal job numbers during manufacturing. Individualized job packets are developed for each job to insure all customer requirements are achieved. Jobs and materials are tracked, monitored and managed by each unique job number.
A brief summary of Flinchbaugh’s in-house capabilities follows:
- CNC Milling – Ten(10) CNC Machining Centers that offer an extensive range of CNC milling capabilities with both vertical and horizontal types as well as both 40-taper and 50-taper CNC machining centers. Four of the CNC machining centers are equipped with pallet changers and most are accessorized with rigid tapping and high pressure, through-spindle coolant. We offer both 4-axis and 5-axis capabilities. Table sizes vary from 18 in. x 18in. up to 36 in. x 60 in.
- CNC Turning – Five (5) CNC Turning Centers cover a broad range of size capabilities; the smallest machine is fitted with a 7” chuck and machines parts below ¼” in diameter and the largest machine can handle diameters up to 18”. In between these extreme sizes there are two(2) additional lathes with 8” chucks and a 3rd lathe with a 10” chuck. The largest lathe will also handle bar sizes of 4-1/2 in. and turning lengths up to 40 in. Two(2) of the Five(5) lathes are equipped with automatic bar feeders to maximize productivity.
- Painting – Flinchbaugh specializes in epoxy, enamel and acrylic liquid paints. The 16 ft. X 30 ft. downdraft paint booth is equipped with curing capabilities and is sized to handle small to very large parts. The company is certified to perform CARC paint for military applications and also has a Vacublast sand blaster with a 48in. x 36 in. cabinet.
- Grinding – Flinchbaugh performs cylindrical, center-less, Blanchard and surface grinding. Its cylindrical grinder has a 12 in. maximum swing. Center-less grinding is available up to 3-1/2 in. diameters and the Blanchard grinder has a 36 in. table, whereas the table on Flinchbaugh’s largest Okamoto surface grinder is 12 in. x 24 in.
- Assembly – Value-added operations are often performed for our customers. These services often include the use of adhesives, hardware and press equipment.
- Manual Lathe and Milling – Several pieces of manual equipment are maintained for specialty jobs as well as jobs that require immediate turn-around times. Jobs most suitable for this equipment are generally smaller in quantity and/or are physically too large to fit within CNC equipment enclosures. Additionally, the manual equipment Flinchbaugh has provides the capability to support its machine shop with repair parts as well as custom-made fixtures and tooling. All manual equipment is fitted with digital readout and also programmable in most cases.
- Sawing – Three (3) saws support the machine shop needs. The saws are each used for their distinct capabilities and are also used as backup and increased capacity if required. The saws are all supported by a gantry crane system. The largest and highest production saw is a Hyd-Mech with a 12 in. x 12 in. bundling vise and automatic bar feed system. The Wells saw has mitering capabilities and the Do-All is a versatile band saw.
- Broaching – Flinchbaugh has both pull and push broaching capabilities. Its horizontal Lapointe broach has a 48 in. maximum stroke whereas the company can push broach up to a 12 in. stroke.
- Welding – One(1) MIG welders with certification to ANSI/AWS D1.1/D1.1M:2008 for steel GMAW.
- Miscellaneous – Several additional capabilities distinguish Flinchbaugh from other custom machine shops. The list includes an automatic wide-belt Timesaver sander, a 100 Ton Enerpac multi-press, a Geka hydraulic ironworker and a Uni-Tek tap disintegrator.